Saturday 15 July 2017

NW Scotland - Buzzard and Herring Gull Skirmish

It seems that the Common Buzzard, despite its size does not have a quiet time, what with the earlier blogs of the Raven and Cuckoo.
 
Watching a circling buzzard from my chalet, a Herring Gull comes into view, and....
 
... flying close to the buzzard, calling loudly comes close to the resident bird of prey, before...
 
....flying off.  I wonder why the Herring Gull is so aggressive to the buzzard? Presumably the buzzard will take the young chicks of the gull, somewhat turning the tables the gull, which itself is a great opportunist, taking the young of many seabirds. 
 
Later I caught the buzzard making a dramatic dive as it dropped to the ground.
 
All taken at a distance in poor light, so quality not as good as I would had wished, but I found the skirmish interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment