Tuesday 26 June 2012

Ivinghoe Beacon - Fallow Deer - Doe and Her Fawn Reunited

At this time last year we were sitting on the side of Ivinghoe Beacon on a cloudy evening watching and listening to nature go by....

....When we noticed a Doe Fallow Deer in the edge of the wheat field below.  It was looking intently into the middle of the field.   I took a couple of photos through the telephoto.

Not much photographic interest here unless the deer turns round.  So I put the camera down and watch if she turns to face me.  What I didn't notice until I got home was that in the second photograph was a fawn in the top right running through the wheat towards the Doe.  Presumably, the doe had been calling for her fawn which would have been laying up hidden in the field during the day, but we were too far away to hear.

Noticing the deer turning towards us, I pick up the camera to discover a fawn's head in the viewfinder. Reunited with the fawn, the doe notices us.....




...and they both dash away for safety, the fawn almost disappearing, with every leap,... 

...yet travelling surprisingly fast until we could no longer see them as they moved into the scrub at the corner of the field.


I am hoping to get a repeat of this scene this year, but to date no luck.







No comments:

Post a Comment