Saturday 24 September 2011

French Grasshopper Display

Taking a morning walk up the path to the rocky outcrop near Ales in Southern France, camouflaged grasshoppers would jump and fly off to safety showing a flash of bright red just before I stood on them. There was no way I was going to get a photo of one in flight.


However, later on I discovered that a few of the grasshoppers were sitting around and quickly opening and closing their wings covers in a short bursts. I presume this one second burst of colour was a display to attract a mate or deter a competetor.


I did eventually manage to photograph this particular grasshopper showing his red wings.

At a shutter speed of 1/800 of sec and I still couldn't freeze the action

A photograph showing the beautiful markings of another grasshopper

And another one



No comments:

Post a Comment